One of the perks of waking up early is that you get to have the house all to yourself. And because of the peace and quiet, I found clarity on what to make for breakfast; waffles!
The high maintenance cousin of pancakes, these little sweethearts are just a meal on their own or can be eaten as a dessert. Whichever way you eat it, happiness will ensue.
Waffle with Caramel Sauce:
*If you’re going to make the sauce, make sure you do it before the waffles.
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
a pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups milk
2 large eggs
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
For caramel sauce:
1. Using a saucepan, combine sugar and water in medium low heat.
2. Once dissolved, increase heat and boil until syrup is golden brown in color.
3. Add cream, please be very careful as the mixture will bubble vigorously. Stir over very low heat until cream is fully incorporated in the caramel.
1. Mix the dry and wet ingredients on separate bowls.
3. Pre-heat your waffle maker and cook as per the manufacturer’s instructions.
Serve the waffles immediately with the caramel sauce on the side. Second helpings are not mandatory but preferred.