I originally planned to bake a lemon cream cheese muffins but was faced with a sudden dilemna once I finished the batter, that 1) I threw away my rusty muffin tin and 2) I only had Monterey Jack cheese. Note to self: Follow the rule of cooking thumb;always prepare the ingredients first! Fingers crossed that it’ll come out edible. Weird but edible.
Lemon and Monterey Jack Muffin Cake
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon zest
Juice from 2 medium-sized lemons
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup thick/heavy cream
1/2 cup of cubed Monterey Jack cheese
1) Preheat oven to 175C.
2) Grease and line a square or loaf pan with greased baking paper.*
3) In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy using a stand or hand mixer.
4) Add the egg, lemon juice, zest and vanilla and whisk until fully mixed.
5) Add the flour, baking powder, and cream. Mix until fully combined and no lumps appear.
6) Add the cheese (but leave about a quarter) and mix it gently using a spatula until the cheese is distributed evenly.
7) Bake for 30 minutes or until knife or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
8) Turn off the oven and take the muffin cake out, crumble and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Put back the muffin cake inside the turned off oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
* Make sure that you line your pan with baking paper since the muffin cake is very soft. Mine ended up as a hot mess and I barely got decent slices out of it for picture taking. Otherwise, just serve it directly from the pan.
Monterey Jack may not be usually used for baking cakes or muffins but hey, I think it tasted “new”. It’s bordering between sweet and savoury.
If you’re trying out the recipe, can you let me know how it turned out and if you find it a good weird or a bad one? Thanks!