The fresh taste of broccoli and the sharpness of Cheddar create a beautiful gustatory combination that is sure to level up your soup game.
Broccoli and Cheddar Cheese Soup
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
400g broccoli, roughly chopped
100 grams Cheddar cheese, cubed
2 cups stock or boiling water
3/4 cup milk
100 ml heavy cream
Salt and pepper to taste
50 grams Cheddar cheese for garnish
Equipment needed for pureeing (optional):
Hand blender or stand blender
1. Heat about 2 tbs. cooking oil in a pot, add garlic and onions.
2. Once slightly cooked, lower heat to medium low and add cheese.
3. Once the cheese slightly melts, add the broccoli and stir for about a minute.
4. Add 2 cups of stock or water and milk.
5. Cook in low heat for 15 minutes or until broccoli’s cooked.
6. Stir in the cream, salt and pepper.*
7. Using the blender, puree the soup.**
8. Sprinkle with paprika, nutmeg and black pepper. Top it off with cheese and serve hot.
*use the salt sparingly as the Cheddar will lend its saltiness to the soup already
**If the soup is still runny, dissolve 1 teaspoon of cornstarch in 2-3 tablespoon of hot water. Make sure that the cornstarch is stirred and dissolved as much as it can. Stir it in the soup, 1 tablespoon at a time. Heat the to just boiling, cool it a bit and check the consistency. Repeat the same if you want thicker but be careful in adding too mich as it will make the soup gluey.